Friday, July 9, 2021

Day 19, Bournemouth to Torquay

After brekkie  with Simon and Viv,  we took some photos of them with Dudley's bandana, then we said our goodbyes and made our way to our fuel stop. It was also a chance for me to get some air in the tyres. After the usual struggle with the forecourt hose, I managed to get the required pressures. 

Next stop Sandbanks, home to Harry Redknapp. We didn't see him but had timed our arrival perfectly, to just roll on the back of the ferry across to Studland. Barely had time to take a photo, when we were across. A quid each.

Our route took us down to Swanage, then looped us back up and around the base of Corfe Castle, which was a very impressive sight as we came down the hill into the village. Unfortunately, there's nowhere to stop to get that perfect photo.

Our journey continued on to Lulworth Cove, probably the most perfectly shaped bay you will ever come across. On the way we passed an MOD camp, the signs saying 'Sudden Gun Shots', make you sit up and take notice! We made a brief stop for the loo and a wander down to take some photos. I don't recall ever having been there before. It's very popular, as you would expect.

Just up the road is the village, a chocolate box image, with lots of small thatched cottages lining the road. Not sure the photos will do it justice.

The next leg of the trip took us through Weymouth and down to the Portland Bill Lighthouse, another place I have not been to before. This was our lunch stop and gave Grizzly another chance to feed Steven Seagull, cheesey chips.

It was interesting on the way out or off Portland, to pass what looked like a quarry. It would make perfect sense, as that is where the stone comes from. Also on the way out, I was almost witness to another accident, as some chump came straight out of a side road, only just missng hitting a Smart car on front of me. Better it than me I suppose.

The ride from Portland all the way to Sidmouth in Devon was really good. At one point we could see the coast stretching out for miles and miles,  absolutely stunning in the sunshine. Coming out of Sidmouth on a single track road, was interesting,  with several blockages at passing places, needing cars to reverse. At one point the one in front of me started to reverse. Think again pal, this lady ain't for turning!

Passing through Budleigh Salterton,  Exmouth and skirting Exeter, our next stop was Dawlish Warren, a regular family holiday destination when I was knee high to a grasshopper. It's changed a lot in 55 years but there are still things there from all those years ago. Memories I have from here are the sort I'd like to create with my grandson James, so when I'm long gone, he can say, I remember when Poppa did that with me there.

Dawlish and Teignmouth were next on the route, as we neared our hotel in Torquay or more probably Babbacombe. 

Tomorrow we head to Cornwall,  spending the night in Penzance. We'll have two ferry crossings to negotiate and a few stops to make. Weather looks like being very wet for the morning at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment