Sunday, June 20, 2021

Day 0, My ride to Caerphilly

Was on the bike shortly after 10:30. A detour for fuel and I was on the road proper at 10:50. Weather not great whilst getting ready, waterproofs on, sun came out by the time I left. It was bone dry up until I stopped at Leigh Delamere, though I was sweating inside the waterproofs. I popped into M&S to buy a sandwich, then sat on the bike to eat. Whilst I was there, this Kia Sportage came into the bay next to me and promptly scraped a VW camper in the next bay. The couple got out, had a look, then went off into the services. As I had paper and pen with me, I wrote a message to the camper owners, giving them my contact details. Just as I was about to post the note on their windscreen, the owners came back. They didn't notice the scrape until I pointed it out and were grateful that I did. I was just getting ready to leave, when the Sportage drivers came back. Not sure they accepted they had done anything until the chap said I'd seen them do it. There was a clear scrape on the Kia. Turns out it was a rental car, so they won't be happy. I left them exchanging details.

Back on the motorway it started to rain. Not very hard but enough to cover the screen for a few miles. By the time I got to Caerphilly though, it was bone dry again. I checked in, jumped into some normal clothes and met my daughter, husband and grandson out front, as we were all off to a soft play area. It was nice to spend some time with the boy and watching his interaction with other kids. I want that basket, snatch! I want that wheelbarrow, grab! A pretty little ginger haired girl took a liking to him but he showed no interest. Fast forward 15 years!

Play over, it was back to daughter's house for tea, pizza and icecream. Now back in the hotel.

Tomorrow the tour proper starts. Grizzly will arrive in Pembroke about 13:00. I'm about 1h45m away, so I can have a lie in and leave here about 11:00. The plan is to fuel up the bikes at Tesco and us at McDs before we head north up the Welsh coast.

Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment